People in East India and Bangladesh consider the hilsa fish to be the tastiest among fishes. And the fried hilsa fish with steamed hot rice is a favorite dinner item.
The preparation consists of 3 steps.
1. In step one, the mustard seed will be ground with spices to create the sauce.
2. In the second step this sauce will be used to marinate the fish.
3. And finally, the marinated fish will be cooked.
1. Put the whole black mustard seed in a grinder
2. Add 2 green chilies
3. Add salt
4. Grind the dry mixture first
5. Add 1/3 cup of water
6. Grind again
7. If it is too dry, you may have to add some more water to create a thick paste or the consistency you want.
8. Transfer the mustard paste into a bowl
9. Add 4 tablespoons of yogurt
10. Mix with a spoon or ladle
11. Add the turmeric
12. Mix well together
13. Add 2 tablespoons of mustard oil
14. Again mix well to create a uniform marinating sauce
15. Pour the sauce onto the fish
16. And then marinate the fish pieces well either with a ladle or with the hand
17. Add a teaspoonful of oil to a medium hot pan. The purpose of this oil is to ensure that the fish pieces do not stick to the hot pan.
18. Add the marinated fish pieces to the pan
19. Pour and spread the remaining sauce on the fish
20. Wash the leftover sauce with a small amount of water and add that to the pan
21. Spread 4 green chilies on top
22. Cover the pan and let it cook
23. Occasionally loosen the fish pieces so they do not stick to the bottom
24. After about 8 – 10 minutes of cooking, turn them over
25. Then stick a fork into the fish to see if the fork passes through them easily. This indicates the cooking is done.
26. Turn off the heat and cover the pan.
27. The remaining heat will complete the cooking