Aloo Mashla, or Spiced Potato, is a simple side dish that my family cooks with ingredients that we always have on hand at home: garlic, ginger, green chilis and turmeric. We love potatoes and are always looking for different ways to cook it, so the fact that this is such a basic and quick recipe has made it one of our favorites. It doesn’t take very long to make and goes great with Bengali cuisine staples like rice, chappatis, or luchi.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
1. We have used a pressure cooker to boil the potatoes. You can also boil it either on a stove or in a microwave
2. In a pressure cooker add 2 cups of water and then add the potatoes
3. Close the lid and turn on the stove
4. When the steam comes out, heat for another 3 minutes or so
5. Turn off the stove and allow a couple of minutes to cool, then release the pressure
6. Carefully open the cooker and use cold water to cool the stove
7. Skin the potatoes
8. To a moderately hot pan, add oil, garlic, ginger, green chili
9. Stir for another 30 sec
10. Then add the turmeric, potatoes, salt
11. Continue shallow frying for about 10 minutes or so till the potatoes become golden yellow and crusty
Serve aloo mashla with hot steamed rice or chapatti.